Reupholstered Reclining Wingback Chair

Jay and I got this lovely Reclining Wingback Chair from his parents. While it wasn’t actually that bad looking we wanted a statement piece and something to go with our new end tables. The process was rough. I would recommend to anyone who values their hands and time to really, really think about how badly they want to do a project like this on their own. Removing the fabric from the chair requires the removal of thousands (really) of staples. I used a flathead screwdriver and rocked it back and forth to loosen the staple, then pulled each one out with pliers. Oh and don’t forget that for every staple removed, you will have to put a new one in and my staple gun bruised my hand.

*This project took 8 yards of fabric and eleventy-billion staples.

The Process:

Refurbished End Tables

Two really ugly end tables, $5 each. Yellow velvet embellishments. Winning?

Jay and I stumbled upon these two beauties at a garage sale. I think we scored pretty big at $5 each for these ugly things. The process of refinishing these end tables was long and miserable. Clean, disassemble, prime, sand, prime, paint, sand, paint, sand, clear coat, done! It was repetitive to say the least and we had a hard time deciding on how we wanted them to look. After several failed paint testers we decided to paint them black with blue embellishments. We covered the yellow velvet material with plain black cotton and replaced the dirty golden handles with new silver ones.

A version where we used a silver ceiling tile as the background.
Patiently Painting..
Before & After

P.S. we used an oil based primer because these tables aren’t solid wood, just laminated to look like wood. Also, latex paint and a durable, waterproof/scratch resistant/rust resistant clear topcoat.